About 17 Chapel

The 17 Chapel Street building is a structure full of the history of Albany and of the greater Capital Region. Built circa 1928, the original four-story, cast-in-place concrete building was designed by architect Alexander Selkirk to to house the Livermore-Traendly auto dealership and repair shop. It remained a car dealership through 1965, falling under different operation, including Schuyler Hudson Auto Corp, Gateway Motors, and Hickey Ford.

From some time after the last auto dealer left until 2002, the Albany City Arts and Special Events Department had office space in the building and used a portion of it for storing election machines. Albany Center Gallery later occupied the first floor space in the building while the Park Playhouse Theater Company occupied the upper floors. In 2002, Capital Repertory Theater purchased 17 Chapel Street, using it for offices, set and prop storage, set construction, and rehearsal.

The project Sponsor, an affiliate of The Rosenblum Companies, acquired the property from Capital Rep in 2008. Redevelopment of the building as a residential condominum began in 2010 and was completed in 2014. Three cast-in-place concrete drive ramps, held over from the building's automotive days, were removed. These ramps were an integral part of the original 1928 structure and spanned from the second floor up to the fifth floor (former roof). Additionally, the entire inside of the building was gutted and a new stairwell and elevator were installed. 

The 17 Chapel project also includes a vertical addition, with a new three-story steel structure atop the original 1928 four-story concrete building. The exterior of the building is being re-faced with high quality materials, including efficient wood-clad windows and natural brick, to provide a historic feel. The overall aesthetic is inspired by the original modernist structure and mixes in elements of contemporary style, while evoking the historic surroundings of downtown Albany. 

The redeveloped building stands seven stories tall. The first and second floors house the lobby, fitness center, 38 reserved parking spaces and storage units inside a heated garage. Twenty-four condos are located on floors 3 through 7, with a roof deck at the eighth floor level. Each of the 24 condominiums were custom designed and built to spec.